Thursday, September 13, 2012

Spring 2012 Finds #2



Finally!  I am up to date.  Well, at least I was when I wrote this entry!  I may not have as many posts to make, but rest assured I’m still hunting for those elusive unlisted bottles.  Here are some of the latest finds.


In one’s digging ventures, you are bound to come across a few dumps that have bottles, but not enough to hold your interest.  Two years ago I got permission to dig a dump in Shannock, RI.  I found two decent bottles after three days of digging.  Discouraged, I looked elsewhere.  Some renewed faith in the site led me back there, and of course, I had been inches away from a bunch of whole soda bottles.  They were all from Westerly, and one stuck out.  I thought it would fall apart in my hands, but it miraculously survived the trip home and a light cleaning.  The New England Bottling Co. Westerly, RI handmade crown top is pretty scarce.  What grabbed my attention was the CH monogram.  The C was backwards!  I can’t say I’ve ever seen an error in a monogram, so I hope there’s an undamaged example somewhere!


Another Westerly soda from the same dump was a J.H. Blackler Co. Westerly, RI.  Now while it is similar to RI-770, there is no mention of the Contents/ 8 Fluid Ounces embossed on the front heel.  It could be the same bottle but I’d need a picture to verify it.


On my latest trip to David Smith’s house, he was kind enough to give me a nice Ashaway medicine bottle which he had some extras of.  It’s an A.B. Briggs Physician & Surgeon Ashaway, RI.  It’s in one of my favorite shapes, a round bottle with a flat front panel.  Only a rectangular version with this embossing is listed.


Another surprise find came from the Seekonk dig.  I plucked a Red Fox Beverages Providence, RI art deco soda off the surface.  It’s very common, but this one was in the tougher to find green color.  It looks just like RI-1460, only instead of Reg. Cap. 7 ½ Fl. Oz. on the heel it reads Reg. Cap. 7 ½ Oz.  Most of the green ones are from the 1960s, and this was an earlier 1950s example.


Two unlisted quart variants of common sodas also surfaced at the dig.  One was a Kerona Beverages Central Falls, RI with 1 Pt. 12 Flu. Oz. on the rear shoulder, and the other a shoulder and heel embossed Berry Spring Mineral Water Co. Pawtucket, RI.  They're nothing flashy, but they're new!