Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fall Finds #1



Ok, to make sure I’m true to my word, I’ll pick up where I left off.  Last week’s yard sale produced two more unlisted RI sodas.  The first was a Shiloh Club Beverages Providence, RI.  It’s an unlisted 8oz. size of the shoulder and heel embossed version.


The last bottle was a striking Venus Bottling Co. Providence, RI crown top quart.  It was a pretty deep aqua, and is only listed in smaller sizes.
Sadly this was broken before I could get a picture. 

While brand new, exciting unlisted bottles usually come once every 5 or so years, this year has been quite the exception.  After digging my Leonard’s Electric Pain Lotion, I saw a bottle on ebay that nearly excited me just as much.  It was a Hopkin’s Magic Gold Dust by J.H. Hopkins (of Providence, RI).  It was in similar design of the A.J. Hopkin’s Magic Healing Powder, only a later version, perhaps put out by his son.  With a name like that it was no wonder it wasn’t too successful, but I have to admire his creativity.  I scooped this damaged example up for a bargain $10, the second brand new quack medicine to show up this year!



One of my favorite towns to find bottles from is East Greenwich, RI.  I somehow didn’t realize there were three different pharmacists from this town, so when a Charles D. McGettrick PhG Main St. East Greenwich, RI bottle showed up, I had an obligation to acquire it.  It was a beauty with fluted shoulders, Oz. and CC markings, and a packed slugplate.  I was even more surprised when a large size came up for auction a month later!  Now I have two unlisted sizes, 4” and 7-1/2"


This September I was excited for the return of the Little Rhody Bottle Club’s monthly meetings.  While we had a small turnout, a newcomer brought a nice mix of RI bottles to sell which produced a new J.A. Hebert 472 Broad St. Central Falls, RI blob.