Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Otis Collection pt. 10

Hello and sorry for the delay, I've had a busy summer!  This week I will go over more Otis Collection bottles, including a few interesting variants.

I now have five J.H. Branaghan 62 Broad St. Pawtucket, R.I. rectangular whiskey bottles.  When I was comparing a dug example with one from the Otis collection, I noticed that one had a slug plate and the other did not!  The no slugplate version is unlisted.  To find a whiskey of this style with no slugplate isn’t very common.



One of my favorite “common” RI whiskeys are from the American Bottling Co.  This half-pint example was embossed American Bottling Corp. W. Exchange St. opp. Union Station Providence, RI.   While listed, I was surprised to see it was also embossed 7-1/2 Oz. on the bottom, which made it a new version.


A nice small town Natick Bottling Works D.P. Sons 7oz. Natick, RI handmade crown top soda turned out to be unlisted.  The listed version has the DP initials entwined in a monogram while this version has them simply written out.


A New England Bottling Co. CH (monogram) Westerly, R.I. looked awfully familiar to me.  It was, in fact, exactly like RI-1360, only on the back heel it was embossed Contents, which is missing from the listed example. 



A W.H. Arnold Riverpoint, RI blob gave me another one of those déjà vu feelings.  It was embossed “this bottle to be returned when empty” on the heel, a phrase which none of the listed versions have.  I should also note that some versions have Riverpoint as one word, while others spell it River Point.