Friday, August 30, 2013

Summer Finds #2

While they are not officially documented online, there is one listing under the miscellaneous group for a dose cup from Rhode Island.  Dose cups (or dose glasses) were used to measure out doses of liquid medicine.  Compared to bottles they are very hard to find, and I have never heard of one being dug (though I imagine some must have been).  After many years of failing to obtain one, I was delighted to find one at a local antique store.  It was marked A.J. Heon Drugs Warren, RI on the base.  Dating to the 1920s, it is too late for this druggist to have an embossed bottle, but the conical dose cup is an exception.


Last month (in May, in case this post is late, which is fairly inevitable), I made my first pilgrimage to the massive Antiques Marketplace in Putnam, Conn.  It was four stories and 22,000 square feet of bliss.  While bottles weren’t coming out of the woodwork, there were enough to make me happy!  My one unlisted find was an ABM quart Crystal Beverage Co. Providence, RI soda.  It is nearly identical to RI-915, but it lacks a slug plate.


I’m still working on a handful of Otis bottles that are yet to be documented.  Among them was a Chemical Industrial Co. R.DeAngelis Providence, RI 7” screw cap medicine.  All screw cap versions are unlisted, and this example was a size I haven’t reported yet.



A J.H. Branaghan 6 Pawtucket, R.I. crown top soda was also not listed.  The only listed “6” version was a blob top.  The numbers are a date code, so this bottle would be from 1906.




I never get tired of the United States Bottling Co. Providence, R.I. sodas with the embossed eagle.  This example was machine made, and embossed 11oz. on the base, which made it unlisted.  Quite often early ABM bottles have weaker embossing than their BIM counterparts, but this bottle is certainly an exception!