Thursday, October 31, 2013

Late Summer Finds #4



Also a package deal with the Powell bottle mentioned last week was a Blanding & Blanding Pharmacists Providence, R.I.  Coincidentally, this bottle is also 3-1/2” and unlisted.


The last bottle from the shopping spree was one of the fanciest.  A W.H. Hinds Registered Pharmacist Providence, RI was quick to catch my eye.  It had an embossed mortar & pestle, registered pharmacist in a circle, and a little sheaf of wheat to boot!  The 5-1/4” size was unlisted.


While not a bottle, I felt this special find was worth mentioning.  Back in the late 1800s, many liquor merchants handed out complimentary shot glasses to their most valued customers.  These glasses were usually etched with the company’s name, and occasionally had an image or gold-gilded lip to make them a little snazzier.  I have only seen about 10 from RI, all very hard to find.  So when I saw a Compliments of S.H. Zucker & Co. Pawtucket, RI shot glass, I almost jumped in excitement.  The best part was the under $2 price!  It will fit perfectly with my Zucker blob top liquor bottles.


After going nearly a month without buying a bottle on ebay, I finally saw one worth purchasing.  A James T. Wright Pharmacist Newport, RI medicine looked conspicuously small.  Sure enough, it is only listed at 5”, and this one was 3-1/2”.


After mixed success this year digging the marshes, I struck it big in one spot.  It yielded over 100 bottles, and about 50 were worth keeping.  I had most of the RI bottles I found already, but a crown top Roger Williams Bottling Co. Cranston, RI looked a little off.  I still can’t say for sure, but from the normal angle the alleged comma after Cranston looks like a period.  I’ll call it a new version until I break out the magnifying glass.