Thursday, November 28, 2013

Brimfield Finds



It has certainly been an exciting summer!  Exciting digs, great antiquing finds, and new friends in the hobby have made it quite memorable.  I decided to end the summer with a bang, and go to Brimfield for the first time.  For those who are unfamiliar, it is essentially the largest yard sale in New England.  A few thousand dealers set up along a 1/2 mile stretch of road, and many more populate the large adjoining farm fields.  With limited time, I spent close to 6 hours, and almost got through the entire setup.  By the end of the day my backpack was filled to the brim (insert pun here) with great deals.

My first RI find of the day was an exciting one.  Hidden under a table with some dirty common sodas was a Sum-Ade Bottling Company Providence, RI ABM crown top.  Brand new unlisted companies like this are getting ever-harder to turn up.  While sustaining considerable damage, it was a must-have at $1.


The first bottle dealer I came across I knew from the bottle shows.  He always has something decent, and a nice Otis Clapp & Son in amber kept his RI bottle streak intact.  This 4-3/4” has a glass stopper, making it an unlisted color.


Also on his table was an elusive Central Falls Bottling Co. Central Falls, RI quart crown top.  This company created the Kerona brand, which became one of the most successful sodas in RI.  A version is listed, but this one had different embossing.


I was quite weary when I came to the halfway point of the Brimfield show.  Determined to be thorough, I crossed the road and began part 2.  I was quickly rewarded with a Geo. S. Wilcox Providence, RI crown top soda.  While listed, this was an ABM version, and the listed one is handmade.


My favorite (and most exciting find) of the show was a completely unlisted blob.  Hiding under yet another table was a N. Lachance Manville, RI blob soda.  The only known sodas from Manville are from the Manville Bottling Co., so this was a brand new bottle.  I have to say I’m rather fond of the names for the bottler and town.