Thursday, November 28, 2013

New and Not Mine pt.3

Hello and happy Thanksgiving!  It's been too long, so here are some new bottles for you to enjoy.



One of the more common earlier medicine bottles from RI is Dr. S.A. Weaver’s Canker & Salt Rheum Syrup.  I have four versions, including open and iron pontiled examples, but when I saw a teal green version, I knew it was something unusual.  Add color to a nice early bottle like this, and you have something special.


One of the iconic RI bottles is the Rumford Chemical Works.  These teal bottles are hardest to find in any color besides teal, and the elusive sample size.  When a fellow club member posted a picture of a group of these, I was very impressed to see a midsize example.  This example was smaller than the normal 5-1/2” size, but larger than the 4-1/8” tall sample bottle.   

L-R, sample, large size, midsize, and labeled normal size

Speaking of rare common bottle variants, another club member I know has a sample size Calder’s Dentine bottle.  One of the most common RI bottles around, this sample size has to be exceedingly rare.
No picture yet!

One I passed up on ebay was a Deep Rock West Barrington, RI soda bottle.  This ABM crown top is listed with the town of Nayatt, RI (located in West Barrington), but not with West Barrington embossed.



Another blob that has surfaced on a surprisingly frequent rate is the Valley Bottling Works Riverpoint, RI.  This company wasn’t nearly as successful as its competitors, the Warwick Bottling Works, John Gaddes, or W.H. Arnold.


I normally don’t mention dose cups, but when I saw a Dr. E.P. Stimpson Tiverton, RI example, I felt I should mention it.  It is the only embossed medical bottle from Tiverton.