Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Fall Finds #2



My most recent visit to the tidal river produced some decent bottles.  I was particularly excited to find a Turbitt & Orme Wickenden St. Providence, RI soda.  This ABM crown top has “two cents will be paid for the return of this bottle” on the heel, which is a very early use of the “return for deposit” phrase.  I have a handmade version of this bottle, and both are unlisted!



I was recently getting ready to sell some of my common duplicates, and came across a Red Fox Beverages Providence, RI art deco soda.  These bottles are so common I have started to leave them at my dig sites, but that might have been a mistake.  I double checked the heel embossing, and one reads “Registered Cap. 7-1/2 Oz.”  No listed version has registered spelled out, so I added it to the Fox family.



Another dreadfully common bottle is the Berry Spring Mineral Water Co. Pawtucket, RI.  The radiant cross on the front and variety of bottles they made help keep things interesting though.  This common pint size bottle has 16 Fl. Oz. embossed on the back heel instead of the normal One Pint.  That makes it my 11th version!



The last bottle club meeting produced an Eagle Bottling Co. Warren, RI crown top soda.  I had mentioned finding one of these a few years ago a few posts back, so while I thought I already had it, I was still happy to see a bottle from Warren.  My first version has 8 Fl. Oz. embossed on the heel, but you can clearly see where it was erased inside the slug plate.  This bottle turned out to be the un-erased version! 


Also present at the meeting was a nice Star Soda Bottling Works East Providence, RI ABM crown top.  While I have four different bottles from this company, something looked different.  Sure enough, this was RI-1527, but my version was a very light aqua, and this one was a dark grayish aqua.