Saturday, February 8, 2014

Winter Finds #5



Well I must say it has been quite a while since I have been completely “caught up” with this blog!  I suppose I’ll have to blame the frozen ground and single digit temperatures.  Ebay was gracious enough to offer me a Bailey & Eaton Paraffine Sewing Machine Oil. About two years ago I made a chance purchase of a Bailey & Eaton Gun Oil bottle which I later discovered was from Boston/Providence.  This is the same deal, and just as rare!


The bottle show also bequeathed me with a nice green Liberty Club Beverages Providence deco soda.  While these are common in clear, you don’t come across the green one often, which is an unlisted color.


I recently contacted a local digger who had done a lot of digging in the 1970s-80s.  While he had sold most of his finds off, I was able to get a few to make the visit a fruitful one.  A Mt. Hope Distilling Co. Providence, RI soda was surprisingly ABM (machine made).  These bottles are very common, but they stuck with handmade bottles until they went out of business thanks to the prohibition.  This must have been one of the last bottles the company made.


Another exciting online purchase was a P. Lynch Bottler Nasonville, RI soda.  Surprisingly, I do have one of these rare unlisted sodas, but this one is quite different, and quite striking for a crown top.  Patrick Lynch ran the Western Hotel before McManus & Mead took it over.


While there was a little frost to contend with this mid-January, a backhoe will always solve the problem!  My last venture to the mega-dump produced a real crier.  It was a Drink Modox mug with an Indian head on it!  This Moxie imitator lost a lawsuit with Moxie, but not before making some of these beautiful advertising mugs.  It’s not technically a bottle, but I figured it deserves a mention!