Sunday, November 30, 2014

Fall Finds #2 (Blog 100)

I just realized this is my 100th entry!  I certainly feels like less.  That means since I started collecting, I have found over 500 unlisted Rhode Island bottles.  That's what I love about collecting bottles.  Unlike more popular collectibles like coins and stamps, there are thousands of undocumented bottles, so each bottle dig or show can turn up something new and exciting!  With no further ado, let us continue!

A new antique shop produced a Bernard Conaty Co. Inc. Providence, RI blob. These are fairly common, and an auction featuring over 100 of them made them even more common. However, this example was an exception. It is clear instead of the usual gray aqua, and the BCC monogram has been placed over an erased monogram, presumably the McK&C monogram from Mr. Conaty's old partnership.


With so many Bernard Conaty Co. Inc. Providence, RI blobs floating around after a recent auction, it was only a matter of time until I came across a variant. This one has no punctuation.


After the Ed Greer collection auction (which I unforgivably missed), I was given a second chance when his relatives contacted me saying there were some bottles that didn't make it to the auction. There were some nice RI bottles, but most I already had. Of course an Everett & Barrons Shoe Dressing Providence, RI was an exception. It had the proper punctuation, except for the comma after Providence. 


I acquired a Robert R. Brooks Co. Inc. Providence, RI crown top in a recent trade. This short-lived company succeeded the Providence Wine Co. in 1914, and went out of business in 1916. This exact bottle is listed with a blob top, but not a crown top.  You have to give the quality control department props for the backwards S in So.


An Antonio Gasbarro Providence, RI crown top off of ebay turned out to be my 9th version. This crown top with 12 oz. embossed on the base is not listed.