Friday, December 11, 2015

Fall Finds #1 2015

I spotted a group of bottles on ebay that looked rather dismal. Yet, among “junkers” and other common bottles, I spotted a D. Miller & Co. Providence, RI quart whiskey! D. Miller whiskey bottles aren't easy to find, and there are none listed in a quart size. I'll take it!


I almost forgot to mention a bottle you're probably pretty familiar with by now. A Puritan Bottling Co. Providence, RI ABM crown top. Hiding on a Brimfield table, I was surprised to see it was (1) machine made, and (2) aqua! Together those two attributes make it yet another unlisted variant.


The Keene, NH show always starts the fall bottle season off in a grand style. My first pick was a Rumford Chemical Works. This early version has crude gothic panels embossed on each side, making it unlisted.


While at the Keene show a RI collector hitting up local flea markets called me about a dealer with a table full of RI bottles! They were all $5 each, and by the time he was done listing them there were 10 that I wanted. Among them was an A..F. Cappelli Providence, RI shoulder slug plated beer. There is a similar bottle listed, but this version had This Bottle Not to Be Sold on the back.


Another exciting addition from the flea market find was a J.H. Branaghan Exchanage St. Pawtucket, RI blob. Not only was this the only Branaghan blob with an address on it, but it was an address I've never seen! I even checked the old city directories, and while he was on Exchange St. for 2 years, it was not at this address!