Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Winter Finds #8 2016

When I feel motivated enough, I will make the short trek over to Putnam, CT. Home to three bustling antique shops, they can be hit or miss when it comes to bottles. After striking out in the first two shops (not a good start!), I decided to hit the junk shop as well. While I noticed a few new bottles, nothing really stuck out. I then focused on what appeared to be a Hood's Sarsaparilla high up on a shelf. I could tell the embossing was different. When I got it down I could barely believe what I was reading! It was embossed Vital Tonic a Life Preserver Whitney Medicine Co. Providence, RI. Unlisted RI patent medicines are incredibly rare, and this one was simply outstanding. The awesome name, super cool shape, and nifty slogan on the back made it a real winner. I quickly negotiated a price and never stopped smiling the entire drive home.





One of my favorite little antique shops is located pretty much in the Middle of Nowhere, RI, but there is always something good to be found there. My latest visit greeted me with three large boxes of dust-covered bottles pulled from someone's basement. I assembled a pile and drove home quite satisfied. Among the lot was a Barbour's Westerly, RI medicine bottle. Measuring 3-3/4", it was an unlisted size.


Yes, I'm a little behind, so I am just now covering the Little Rhody Bottle Show in January! I was a little apprehensive with the new location (and slightly bothered that it was now a good half hour into Massachusetts), but it was a good show! One of my best buys was a small A.L. Barbour & Co. Druggists Westerly, RI. This was a rare early and unlisted version of the poplar Barbours bottles.


Another exciting find was an O. Vadeboncoeur Social St. Woonsocket, RI crown top. The two known examples has slug plates on the shoulder, but this one had a normal slugplate front and center! While badly damaged, it was still a welcome addition.


I was able to build my Potter collection during the January club meeting by adding a Wm. R. Potter Broad St. Opp. Fenner Providence, RI. While very similar to a listed example, the listed one is also embossed Est. 1875.