Thursday, January 4, 2018

Summer Finds #1 2017

July at Brimfield can be a merciless experience if the temperature decides to go into the upper 80s, but visitors were blessed last year with near-perfect temps in the low 70s. I was very excited to find an elusive Dr. Samuels World's Dyspepsia Cure. I had posted about this bottle as one I didn't have yet, and it's pretty satisfying to cross if off the want list!


A digger in southern RI was selling his collection of bottles he pulled from the river near an old mill. It was a potpourri of bottles ranging from the 1850s-1970s. One of the oldest was a 3-3/4” Dr. Seth Arnold's Balsam with a hinge mold. It is identical to the pontiled version, and I would have to say just as rare!





Another ebay pickup was a jumbo-sized (8”) Caswell Hazard & Co. Newport, RI stoppered apothecary medicine. I have a few of these in smaller sizes but this one is unlisted and impressive!


Local digger Brett was kind enough to gift me a 10z. Otis Clapp & Son medicine. The examples with embossed ounces are slightly less common and most are unlisted!


My other find at Brimfield was an ABM Colaluca Bros. Admiral St. Providence, RI blob. I dug a broken ABM example, so this upgrades it to near mint!