Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Summer Finds #3



Have you ever dug at a spot, lost interest, and then returned to it years later?  I’ve made it somewhat of a habit of mine.  I recently revisited a spot in Shannock I mentioned in earlier posts where an old dam was removed.  I thought I had dug the spot out, but a revisit proved otherwise.  There was one corner I missed that produced a few bottles, even underneath large flat rocks!  One of my favorite finds was a sharp looking Palmer & Madigan Importers Cor. Hay & Friendship Sts. Providence, RI pint whiskey.  There are close to 20 variations from this prolific company, and somehow I found another unlisted version!
The day's finds, including the Palmer & Magigan (center)


When I first got the Little Rhody Bottle Club’s book “Antique Bottles of Rhode Island”, I pored over the pages and made a list of my most wanted bottles.  Aside from a bunch of locals and some pontiled medicines, the obvious winner was the only “Taylor” bottle from RI.  Taylor’s Pharmacy in Newport, RI was owned by James H. Taylor.  For the longest time I could never find one of these until club member Art Palowski gave me one in his collection.  Then I found another size!  Now they are just crawling out of the woodwork (much to my excitement).  I recently found an unlisted size (5-3/8”) at a local antique shop for a bargain $10.  Now I’ll just have to dream about a 32oz. one lol.


I’ve recently been acquainted with the exciting world of city construction sites.  One site in particular yields a few bottles with each visit.  It’s not many, but enough to make you keep going back.  I was recently rewarded with a cute little 2-3/4” Edwin P. Anthony Pharmacist Providence, RI medicine.  While E.P. Anthony bottles are quite common, the Edwin bottles are less common, and this small size was unlisted. 


A nearby pottery business known as Peter Pots has always been a favorite place of mine to visit.  Located in a small rustic mill next to a waterfall only minutes from my house, it is well-known for its pottery, but I know if for the bottles that show up occasionally.  The store doubles as an antique shop, and I’ve made a few good buys over the years.  When the owner showed me two boxes of what I deem “recyclable bottles”, I almost told him to recycle them until I caught site of a soda bottle.  I was very excited to see it was a rare small size Gladstone Spring’s Water Co. Narragansett Pier, RI.  These bottles are fairly common for a local, but there is only one small size known in aqua, and this one was clear!  The price for the lot was steep, but you don’t walk away from a rare local…



The Rhode Island Antiques Mall is one of the most well-picked antique shops in the state, but every now and then you get lucky.  I recently found a rather rare (and likely unique) Otis Clapp & Sons Incorporated bottle.  While a large size Otis Clapp bottle can be found with a glass screw cap, this small example was something entirely new.  A bottle with a glass screw top was very high-end and rather expensive to make, so this is one of the rarest of the 15-20 known Otis Clapp bottles.