Friday, October 23, 2015

Summer Finds #4 2015

A collector from northern RI told me about a dump near his house that was “too new” for his liking. By too new he meant 1910-20s, which was plenty old for me! It was a tough dump to dig, but soon the bottles started popping. A Joseph Brown Co. Woonsocket, RI medicine was the only embossed RI medicine to appear. Measuring 6-1/4”, it was an unlisted size.


Next up was quite a surprise. While the top was broken off, I was happy find it and reunite the two pieces. The bottle was a Jos. B. McLaughlin Woonsocket, RI soda. There are quite a few Thos. McLaughlin bottles, and the later bottles are embossed McLaughlin's Soda Works. Joseph succeeded Thomas in 1912, and by 1914 established the McLaughlin Soda Works. That explains why this bottle is unlisted! The same mold for the Thos. McLaughlin bottle was used, and the lettering was reworked (you can see Thos erased under Jos). The monogram was changed as well.



In my latest river walk, finds were getting scarce. I dig grab a Nectar Bottling Co. Providence quart crown top that decided to emerge from the muck. I thought I had it, but nope! My other example (also unlisted) has 28oz. on the front, while this one says 26oz.


I recently had the pleasure of viewing a local veteran collector's collection, which contained some very nice glass. He was willing to part with a few RI bottles, including a Star Bottling Co. Pawtucket, RI clear quart. Normally this bottle wouldn't make me bat an eye, but I noticed it was clear, as opposed to the listed aqua. That makes four variants!



Auctions are one of my smallest source for new bottles, but every now and then you find something. Recently I saw a crate full of sodas bottles coming up for auction. It said Morris Bros. Bristol, RI. I was hoping for some variety, but they were all the same. Hey, at least they were a new version! There is another listed example with the unusual rectangular shoulder slugplate, but it is a smaller size.