Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Summer Finds #5 2016

A rare blob showed up on ebay recently. It was a Chr. Kiess & Co. Dorrance St. Providence, RI. It wasn't cheap, but when I saw it was unlisted I had to bite the bullet!


Another rather funny but also exciting find showed up on ebay as well. A half pint The Cal Wine Co. T.S. Mitchell Providence, RI whiskey. It's a great looking whiskey with a nice slugplate packed with embossing. Of course it is only listed in a pint size, and now I have the unlisted quart and half pint!


A fellow collector recently got to explore the bottle-packed basement of a former RI digger. Among the hundreds of bottles, he was able to find a few scarce RI pieces. That included two Slocum's Drug Store Auburn, RI medicines. These are great looking bottles, and quite rare. At 5-1/4” and 4-1/4”, they are both unlisted sizes!



I saw a Craiglist ad for two boxes of bottles that appeared to contain some RI stuff. When I got there, there were a bunch of your typical RI blobs, but the crown tops really stole the show! I was quick to agree on his original $60 asking price, only to have him tell me “just take them!” After a few attempts to give him some money, it was clear that he was set on giving me the bottles. I thanked him profusely and went home to clean the prizes. The first unlisted one was a crown top J.P. Bottling Co. Providence, RI. It is listed as a quart, but this was a small size.


My favorite from the lot was a stunning Yacht Club Bott. Wks. Centredale, RI crown top. What makes me like it so much is the icey blue aqua color, and the fact that it is the oldest embossed Yacht Club bottle I have come across.