Saturday, November 17, 2018

Spring Finds #1 2018

Every now and then you find a bottle so rare you're pretty positive that you'll never see another one. This was the case with my G.A. Wagner Berkley, RI blob top. You can imagine my surprise when a woman posted another one! And what makes it more incredible is that mine says Berkeley while this one says Berkley. Turns out mine was an error bottle! It took a little negotiating but I was able to buy it. Gotta say they make a great pair!


About two years ago I confirmed that Capwell's Kidney Regulator was a patent medicine from Phenix, RI. I knew of one in a local museum but besides that it is a very elusive bottle. One finally surfaced in an auction with a bunch of kidney medicine bottles, so I put in a bid and here it is!


Overpriced ebay bottles are the bane of every collector. Usually the seller can't be reasoned with, but sometimes you get lucky. One seller had a large 16oz. C.S. Thomas Richmond St. Providence, RI. At $50 with heavy staining it was way overpriced, but I told her how the staining affected the value and to my surprise she agreed!  As a bonus I was able to remove a lot of the stain.


Since I moved to Cranston the thing I missed the most besides being close to family was digging local dumps. When I finally found one thanks to my surveying job I was thrilled to sink my shovel into it. It proved to be a great dump with good age and a lot of local medicines. That included an Enoch W. Vars Pharmacist Niantic, RI. I've only seen one other Vars bottle in this style and they are unlisted!


Checking the bottom of plain bottles paid off again and I snagged another G.L.C. & Co. (George L. Claflin). This one was 6”.