Thursday, November 22, 2018

Spring Finds #4 2018

At the spring tailgate show someone brought a citrate magnesia style B.F. Downing Jr. Druggist Newport, RI. I knew it was very rare but it appeared that a bulldozer dug it up and gave it a few dings. After hearing the asking price I politely declined and told them what I would be willing to pay. They came back a little while later and said yes to my offer, and while I still overpaid it's a great early bottle.


As fate would have it I got another Clapp bottle. This was a machine made Otis Clapp & Son Cod Liver Oil. I certainly wasn't surprised that it existed, I was just surprised I haven't seen one sooner!


The summer Brimfield show was another winner as one dealer had a box full of pharmacy bottles including a bunch from RI. My favorite was a Rob't F. Linton Monument Sq. Woonsocket, RI. This is another one that has eluded me for years and this one is an unlisted variant!


Also in that lot was an E.C. Thornton & Co. Providence, RI in an unlisted 4-3/4” size.


There is a huge dump I dig at occasionally, and while it has plenty of good bottles it has even more poison ivy. That has kept me away from it for years but I finally managed to find a path through the cursed stuff. My first dig was ok, and I found a very boring but historically relevant Gorham Silver Polish jar. Gorham silver is internationally famous, so it's no surprise they made their own polish.