Thursday, May 27, 2021

Fall Finds #2 2020

I had been meaning to get together with a friend to do some trading. For various reasons, we never met up to do the trade despite digging together a few times. We finally got it worked out, and it was a win-win situation. I acquired a nice narrow Francis Gavin Pawtucket, RI crown top. I really like these crude early examples, I suspect they were made at a second-rate glass company simply due to the poor quality. I'm sure Mr. Gavin might not have been terribly pleased, but us collectors certainly are!



I was also very excited to get an A.W. Tenner Providence, RI error medicine. It was supposed to read A.W. Fenner. This is a less common error to find, and my guess is that the order for the bottles might have been written in cursive, which in the 1800s the Fs and Ts looked rather similar hence the confusion.



This Bridge Club Bev. Co. Providence, RI heel embossed quart is rather bland in appearance, but I do wonder what the label looked like! I have examples in clear and green, but this aqua version is unlisted!




On a recent dig I picked up a Central Falls Bottling Co. Central Falls, RI crown top that had been left behind by the last digger. It was understandable as there is a huge crack in it, but this style is completely unlisted so I counted it as an exciting find!

 


 In a 1940s dump I don't expect to find many embossed RI bottles. So I was pleasantly surprised when I found a Davol Anti-Colic Nurser Providence, RI that was completely embossed! Most of these have base embossing and a pyroglaze label on the front, so this was a new one.