Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Spring Finds #3 2019

A friend picked up a nice half pint Rocky Point Brand Oysters and I was able to complete my set of four! These scarce bottles come in pint and half pint sizes. One version has an E.W. monogram and another has an E.L.W. monogram. Contrary to what most people assume this company was located in Providence and used the popularity of Rocky Point to promote their oysters.


A very elusive shoulder embossed Empire Bottling Co. Cranston, RI crown top teased me with a badly beaten example. It's not much to look at but I've only seen one other so this is a tough bottle!


A J.L. & P. Gannon N. Providence, RI blob looked unusually tall so I measured it. Sure enough, it was a lofty 10” compared to an average 9-1/4” blob top. Blob tops can commonly vary within half an inch but anything more is unusual!


The spring tailgate show produced a few goodies including a J. Scheminger Snow St. Providence, RI. I have a nice collection of these scarce blobs, so I was surprised to find out this was a new variant!


I was also quite happy to acquire a McKenna & Nolan Providence, RI narrow blob. This bottle was made to have an Aetna stopper, which is one of my favorite styles because it's a RI patent.