Thursday, February 23, 2023

Fall Finds #2 2022

Sometimes I ask myself why I keep going to well hunted antique shops where I find very few bottles. Well, because every now and then something great shows up! I nearly danced out of the store after I spotted an A. Zurlinden White Cross Pharmacy Manville, RI pharmacy bottle. I have a damaged example of the only known bottle from Zurlinden and this example is completely different! Manville bottles are rare, and this is the second known Manville pharmacy bottle ever!



A friend recently picked up a collection of bottles dug at a Providence construction site in the 1980s. I was quite excited, and a few neat pieces were purchased! First was a C.E. Nichols Standard Extracts Providence, RI. Normally a very common bottle, this example with a disc neck is a new variant!



A J.J. Maguire Dyer St. Providence, RI etched blob also caught my attention. What was most amusing is that the back was embossed from another company! No shame in stealing someone else's bottle there lol.



Another odd find was a Jacob Wirth & Co. Prov. RI with a BIMAL (applied) crown top. This is unheard of in New England, and certainly a very strange piece!



A digger from Attleboro had a bunch of RI sodas to sell including a Standard Bottling Co. Pawtucket, RI variant. The top features a Baltimore loop seal closure, which I have to say was unexpected! My other examples just have a plain blob top.