Friday, June 29, 2018

Winter Finds #6 2018

By far the best surprise at the Baltimore show was a S.H. Farnham Pure Drugs Wickford, RI. A collector who I never met that knew me from Facebook approached me at the show and asked me if I would be interested in a RI pharmacy bottle. I said most likely, expecting a common example. If I hadn't been so tired I might have started jumping with excitement. I had dug a shard of a fancy S.H. Farnham medicine years ago in Wickford. It quickly went to my top 5 most wanted local bottles list. I was starting to fear I would never see one until now. I thanked him quite enthusiastically, especially after he insisted on selling it to me cheaply even after I told him it was a rare bottle.



Speaking of rare locals my good friend David was kind enough to gift me his duplicate S.H. Donahue Registered Pharmacist Wakefield, RI. He dug the only two examples known, so owning one is truly an honor.


My biggest purchase at the Baltimore show as a pontiled Paine's Vegetable Pain Curer. A direct competitor to the more popular Davis Vegetable Pain Killer, Mr. Paine set up shop literally down the street from Perry Davis. His antics did little to annoy Mr. Davis as his product was immensely popular. The bottle comes in 3 sizes, and the seller had two! I had to opt for the cheaper 5-1/2” middle size.


I made a special trip to a yard sale advertising bottles and my heart sank upon seeing the selection. Two shallow cardboard boxes full of junk bottles. But underneath a few of them was a Geo. S. Wilcox 20 Bridge St. Providence, RI quart blob! RI quart blobs are quite rare, so this was a really nice find.


I generally shy away from ebay sellers asking absurd prices for bottles because they usually can't be reasoned with. I decided to make an offer on a Hazard, Hazard & Co. Chemists New York & Newport round apothecary style bottle and the seller accepted my offer. At 7-3/4” it is an unlisted size.