Friday, June 29, 2018

Winter Finds #2 2018

An old time seller parted with their modest collection a few months ago and while I was able to get some nice bottles it was a difficult process. The real problem was the guy who bought them to list on ebay, a pothead who knew absolutely nothing about bottles. Half the words in his listings were misspelled, he used incorrect terms and blurry pictures, but I figured I'd take a chance.  I knew after I received a bottle that had significant damage he didn't mention that every purchase was going to be a gamble. My first bottle from this seller was a Dyer's Healing Embrocation Providence, RI. It was a nice larger size with a funny top. I have one just like it with a crude applied top. This one had a much newer looking tooled lip. When it comes to dating the bottle I'm stumped!


A young collector from CT came across a Cotton Club Beverages Cranston, RI deco soda at a flea market. I was blown away that there was more than one deco style soda as the one I have is rare as it is. We made a deal and I'm now the happy owner of both Cotton Club deco sodas.


Another nice surprise was a Frank Heiss & Co. Cranston, RI blob. While not rare, I never saw one with the embossing in a diamond. I had to pay up but hey, so far it's unique!


Another beer I traded for was a Francis Gavin Pawtucket, RI with “hollow hands”. Most of the shaking hands are solid, but there are also hollow versions that are a bit harder to find.


Here's a bottle I bought from the “pothead” seller that I actually returned because it had several significant cracks. It was an It Pays to Trade at Powells Newport, RI. After getting blocked from bidding because I was too “picky”, a friend of mine offered to bid on my behalf and I ended up getting it for significantly less. I have to imagine I was only one in a long list of unhappy buyers from this unsavory seller.