Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Spring Finds #1 2022

Someone on Facebook contacted me about selling a Rhode Island flask. When he mentioned that it was amber my heart skipped a beat! It was a pint size John Keefe Providence, RI flask. A quart size is listed, and I believe it was the only example known! This one will take a special place in my collection.



I got an email asking for information on a Charles Maul Newport, RI blob. This one also nearly gave me a heart attack, as the only known Maul blob is green, and one of my most sought after RI bottles. This one is clearly aqua but still an exciting and rare find! After a little negotiating we made a deal and it came back to RI.



It's been a while since I came across a good city dump, and last spring that happened! A construction site happened to be located right on top of one of Providence's many dumps. One of the first bottles I found was an E.C. Danforth PhG Providence, RI medicine. At 3-1/4” it was an unlisted size.




A second visit to the new dump produced more bottles including a W.R. Greene 1 Westr. St. Prov, RI. This is an unlisted version with the odd abbreviation of Westminster.



While visiting an old time collector to buy some soda bottles she was also kind enough to offer me a S.S. Thompson Newport, RI cream jar. Cream jars from RI are quite rare, and with the addition of this one I now have four!