Saturday, December 17, 2022

Winter Finds #1 2022

 

Ever since my friend Justin dug an Otis Clapp & Son triangular med, it has been on the top of my Otis Clapp want list. One finally surfaced on ebay and it was a fairly easy win! Given their rarity, it is pretty surprising that there was already another triangular RI bottle (the OHP Rose bitters). Now there are two!





A nearby auction had a bunch of bottles and pharmacy ephemera from an old RI pharmacy. Needless to say I was on it right away. Among the winnings was a nice pair of Cundall & Earnshaw E. Greenwich, RI medicines. They are almost identical so I've only pictured one.



There are very few bottles that were actually produced in RI and marked as being such. Even though it dates to the late 1970s-early 1980s, I still had to grab this National Bottle Co. Coventry, RI commemorative bottle from a friend. This company succeeded the Star Bottling Co., which I also have a bottle from.



A woman contacted me about bottles she wanted to sell before a local estate sale. I told her that I was looking for Westerly bottles, and much to my disappointment, I found the ad for the sale online and noticed a bunch of the Westerly bottles shown were not present. I also noticed that her very full purse sounded suspiciously like clinking bottles, and sure enough, it was. Luckily she didn't find all of them, and I picked up a Barbour's 18 Broad St. Westerly, RI in an unlisted size.



I also grabbed a scarce Thomas J. Bannon Westerly & Watch Hill, RI that was also an unlisted size. The shape was also different from the norm, and you might notice this one survived a fire too!