Sunday, December 25, 2022

Summer Finds #2 2022

A bottle dealer I'm good friends with recently picked up a Caswell Hazard & Co. NY Newport medicine in amber. The size is uncommon, but the embossing on the small side panels is definitely unusual! It cost me an arm and a leg, but I figured I would probably never see another. (Update, a few months later someone beat me to this exact bottle at a show, only it was embossed Hazard, Hazard & Co!)



The same dealer friend also had a base embossed D. & M. Co. green medicine with full labels. It identified the bottle as a Daggett & Miller, a colored RI medicine! While also priced exorbitantly, I was able to trade for it which softened the blow.



A couple in Warwick reached out to the club to see if anyone was interested in bottles dug on their property. There was nothing special shown except an odd little jar. I almost immediately recognized it as a Pat'd Aug 8, 1882 fruit jar by F..H. Perry of Providence! Without the lid that has the patent date it would be nearly impossible for anyone else to ID, but luckily I had the shape committed to memory! This jar is listed in the Red Book of Fruit Jars but this size was unknown!



My good friend Andy came across a 4-1/2” Cahill's Drug Store Providence, RI medicine at a yard sale recently. I have a soft spot for these later style BIM pharmacies, and did not have a Cahills yet!



An exciting ebay discovery was a completely unlisted blob embossed Donnelly Olneyville, RI. The horizontal embossing is unusual and research on the company proved tricky without any first initials.